Saturday, 28 September 2013

My Favourite Novels


With the internet being such a prominent feature of so many of ours lives, it can be hard to find the time to immerse yourself in a good read, or chose a book over your fave vloggers' latest video. But reading is so valuable, it can open your eyes to new perspectives, cultures and styles, or further you fondness for a place, person or time... it sounds cheesy, but it's true! There are three books that particularly stand out to me personally, and that I could read over and over again.

The Catcher in the Rye
If I had to pick an all time favourite book, this would be it. It's probably quite a common choice, being such a famous classic, but I don't care - I adore it. I feel that we can all relate to the character of Holden Caulfield in some way, and understand his disappointment at the world as he begins to see it through a young adults' eyes. I love the conversational style of the novel, and the colloquial language it uses - it feels unpretentious, honest, and completely unforced. New York City fascinates me and is on the top of my "places to go" list, and so the setting of The Catcher in the Rye appeals to me also. It's funny, sad, truthful, simple and reaches me personally, I can't recommend The Catcher in the Rye enough.  

A Patchwork Planet
Anne Tyler is a wonderful writer who manages to make reasonably normal, real life stories incredibly adsorbing and thought provoking. I have a big soft spot for the laid back, black sheep  character of Barnaby, and enjoy reading from his perspective. Although you could describe this novel as seemingly simple, it weaves thoughts on life and death, family and love together beautifully. A Patchwork Planet is such a rewarding read, without being dramatic or about anything out of the ordinary. 

Starter for Ten
This is an easy read that appeals to everyone who had/is going through an awkward, cringey, or up-and-down youth (isn't that pretty much everyone?!). I especially like it because it follows the main character of Brian through his first year of university... which I will be doing in the not too far off future! It's set in 1985 which gives it a sort of retro charm and is around the same time that my parents went off to university... I hope I don't make them feel old by calling the time period "retro" - but you know what I mean, the 80's is seen as being cool and evocative! I didn't realise that it had been made into a film when I first read it, but apparently it's worth a watch :) I hope it's true to the novel! 

What are your favourite books?

Jane 
x

4 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to read The Catcher in the Rye for quite some time now, you've just reminded me that I still have to check it out!
    Rachael x
    Rachaeleeno | Beauty, Fashion & Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for a post! I love 'The Catcher in the Rye' too. Have you read 'The Bell Jar' and '1984'? They are some of my favourites!

    ellenunderwater.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way about The Catcher in the Rye. I don't care that it's such a popular choice..there's just something about it! :)

    Ivy xx
    <a href="http://stylelifelovely.blogspot.com>Style Life Lovely</a>

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you seen the Starter For Ten films with James Mcavoy? It's based on the novel and sooooo good!
    Joelle xx
    FebruaryGirl.

    ReplyDelete