|Image from Google via Love This Giant|
David Byrne is my all time favourite musician, and my hero in general. On Wednesday, I went to see his Birmingham stint of his tour with the brilliant St. Vincent (Annie Clark), with my brother and good friend Lauren. I can honestly say that it was the best, most exhilarating performance I have ever seen. Here are my most memorable moments:
- Giggling uncontrollably before the conncert began because I was so excited.
- Turning to Loz and squealing "that's him!" when David came on stage,
- When the band launched into Who whilst David was mid sentence, and surprising Loz and me (in a good way!).
- Loz and me looking at each other in awe when realising just how good David sounds live.
- David cheerily saying "hey hey!" to the audience :)
- Screaming when This Must Be the Place started and the man next me saying that I'm "too young to remember this song!".
- David's awesome dance moves during This Must Be the Place - so unique and quintessentially Byrne.
- David and Annie calling us Brummies :)
- The combo of David's abrupt but groovy guitar, and Annie's cutting and bold guitar in The Forest Awakes.
- The Karaoke style arrangement of Wild Wild Life - I loved seeing snippets of the band members' personalities.
- The awesome choreography in general and whole ensemble feel.
- Hearing David having a few gulps of water in loud detail because of his microphone, him realising, laughing and saying. "Ahh, the sound of refreshment!" :)
- Not being able to find David before Lazy because he was lying on the stage.
- David joking about having a personal masseuse in their crew.
- Feeling empowered and able to scream and clap and cheer as much and as loud as I could, because I love David so much and wanted him to feel appreciated!
- David exclaiming "these are drums!" when introducing the drum player.
- Two men on a balcony waving their arms gleefully to The One Who Broke Your Heart.
- Throwing some serious shapes during Burning Down the House - it was like an out of body experience... I was so happy and excited to hear one of my favourite old Talking Heads songs, played live by my hero. I also sang as loud as I could along to Burning Down the House and Road To Nowhere - by the encores, everybody had stood up and loosened up, although I was bobbing my head and mouthing the words from the very beginning!
- Cheering and clapping for what felt like donkey's years to get David, Annie and the band to play more after the first encore.
- Feeling so incredibly content and at home during the concert, that I couldn't stop smiling the whole way through!
- Being inspired by experiencing such an astonishing performance :) I want to make something as cool as that.
Finally I have seen David Byrne play live!
Follow me on Twitter! @JanesJumbles