Tuesday, 27 August 2013

Sunday in Cambridge


Although it's only about a couple of hours drive away, I'd not visited Cambridge until Sunday. I couldn't believe I'd never been before - it's beautiful. It reminds me a lot of Oxford (unsurprisingly!), but it definitely has it's own personality. My dad dropped my mom and me in the outskirts of the city centre and we found our way to the hustle and bustle of the core. It was very busy considering it was a Sunday, but the hoards of tourists emphasised the upbeat, holiday vibe in my opinion :) There's an infinite amount of gorgeous old buildings in Cambridge, it's a very attractive town. A great deal of people cycle in Cambridge, as they do in Oxford, and I admired several brightly coloured bikes with old fashioned wicker baskets. I'd love one, but Birmingham unfortunately isn't particularly bike friendly! 

When it comes to shopping there's all the usual highstreet stores, in addition to an endless John Lewis, plenty of adorable independent shops selling antiques and tiny glass bottles with stripy paper straws, and a wonderful market - you're spoilt for choice! My mom and I spent about half an hour ooing and arring at all the gorgeous things in John Lewis. The stationary section was so brilliant that I was literally overwhelmed and on the verge of tears... sad I know, but what can I say!? I like stationery! 



There was a band playing in a little space by a church (fab description there Jane!), and they sounded good! I don't exactly understand how an outdoor place can have superior acoustics, but it did seem to be an ideal place to perform. Plenty of other people must've agreed, they had a pretty decent crowd! 

The colleges of Cambridge University seem to be lurking around every corner. They're beautiful - such lovely places to live! We didn't go on a tour, but we had a few sneaky looks through the ancient doors. My great uncle went to Cambridge University in 1951 (ish). He was in Corpus Christi College, so we made sure to have a look at that one! He said that we he went all those years ago, there was a roaring fire in the college - sounds cosy! 



We had a little picnic by the river, on a patch of grass occupied by several cheery other picnicers. The river seemed very full to me (it's probably supposed to be!), the punters were fairly level with everyone sitting on the ground! Going for a punt looked very pleasant, but I don't fancy being the punter... I can just see myself pushing off from the bank and toppling straight into the water! The river is a pretty scene, the water bordered with greenery, and the punts carrying colourful visitors, navigating through other boats and squeezing under tiny bridges that look as if they should be in a watercolour painting. 

One of the last shops I explored was Waterstones, not special exactly because they're everywhere, but it was a very good one! I was on the look out for history books, and had to climb all the way to the top to find them. I couldn't believe how tall it was - five floors I think it was! In the end, the book I wanted (about Brunel) was in the biography section on a different floor anyway! Typical!



On our way back to our picking up spot, my mom and I wondered down one or two side streets that were absolutely gorgeous. The houses had huge looking basements, and were grand but homely. There were little discrete side alleyways with more lovely homes and railings home to glossy bicycles. What a fabulous place to live! 



I was thoroughly impressed by Cambridge and I'd love to go back soon! It was bigger than I envisioned, with a maze of beautiful architecture and streets packed with vibrant people - I adored it :)


Jane
x

Follow me on Twitter! @JanesJumbles 

28 comments:

  1. This looks like a dream to me. I wanna live in England SO bad! It just looks so ideal! I'm like super duper jealous right now!
    Hopefully one day I will live there :')

    Maria Pol xx

    http://mariapoool.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww it's so cool that you like England so much! The grass is always greener on the other side ;) xx

      Delete
  2. i really must get down to cambridge with friends, i've always wanted to go , so typically british and pretty. at least when my sister leaves for uni in october i'll have an excuse to visit duruhm, which is also supposed to be really pretty and traditional. i'm a new follower of your blog, super cute,a nd you can check out and follow my blog if you wish at www.rollerbladesandvintage.blogspot.com

    xoxo Leah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should go! It's so lovely :D ooo I love Durham it's gorgeous! Thanks so much, I'll check out your blog! xx

      Delete
  3. Looks like such a lovely day out.

    http://itsrainingdaisies.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool that you got to visit! I haven't been to cambridge since I was 5. I'd love to see it again soon, but your pictures are great :)

    AJ | TheAJMinute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to go back again soon - I loved it :D Thank you! x

      Delete
  5. I love Cambridge too :) your photos are excellent too!
    Meg xx
    ps you have a new follower ;)

    peachpips.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jane,
    I'm not from the UK, but my sister and I visited England several times. We always went to London, just because it's the obvious city to visit, right? But now we are planning of visiting other parts of England and Cambridge is definitely on our wishlist! I sometimes dream of studying there, but I think it will remain a dream. Your pictures are so beautiful, I wish I could just dive into them from behind my computer!

    Sofie x
    http://littlegreensofie.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weirdly, I've only been to London a handful of times! I should go more! I highly recommend Cambridge - so beautiful. You never know, your dream could come true! Thank you :D x

      Delete
  7. lovely impressions :)
    Love Lois xxx

    http://lisforlois.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would love to visit cambridge it looks so nice and your photos are also really lovely!

    Millie x
    smudgesofthoughts.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. these photos are so lovely! i really want to go visit now xx
    thefrillseekers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are great photos! I live in Oxford so Cambridge is pretty far for me but I've always wanted to go.

    I'm a new follower :) x

    how-lovelyblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I love Oxford! Some of my family lives there :D Thank you so much! x

      Delete
    3. Awesome!Do you ever visit? There's some great little spots to photograph x

      Delete
  11. Wow, looks lovely! xo

    http://www.vipxo.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. What lovely photos. I love the first picture! Great post :)
    Now following you :) Would love if you checked out my blog, and if you like it, follow back :)

    Xx, www.heyitslulu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really pretty images, I really want to go there just to have a wonder around :) I live in Oxfordshire so like you said there's a similar feel to the area :) but I would love to go anyway!

    http://cupcakesandcameras.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete