Monday, 10 June 2013

Room Makeover

New room!

I enjoy changing my room around and getting room decor inspiration. I recently gave my bedroom a bit of a makeover and I'm very proud of how it turned out!

Much of my furniture was chosen by my parents when I was a toddler and so it wasn't to my taste exactly (I appreciate having it though of course!). When I was around nine or so, I picked a chest of drawers and for the past couple of years, I've regretted my choice. Nowadays, I prefer white furniture as it look makes a small room appear bigger and brighter. 

Here are some photos of my room before the makeover. Sorry they're not very good, unfortunately I didn't take any proper "before" photos and had to settle with a couple I found from last year.



I painted my bed, shelf and chest of drawers with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. It's fab stuff because you don't need to prepare what you're painting, so no sanding - you just slap it on! To get the "shabby chic" look that Chalk Paint lends itself too, I used the colour Paloma (grey-purple) on the edges and corners, and then painted Old White all over. After it dried, I used sandpaper to create a distressed look and to make the Paloma colour peak through. I also used plenty of wax to get a smooth finish. It was so easy. The pressure was off because it's not supposed to look perfect :) The painting took me three days (one for each piece of furniture), and although I was glad when it was done, it wasn't too much work at all.












I purchased the adorable decorated knobs for my chest of drawers in Falmouth. They're so cute and the bright colours are a great contrast to the newly white chest. I think the white furniture suits my little room much better and I love how it feels as if there's a consistent theme. I also bought a few new furnishings to add the finishing touches. The beautiful rug was a bargain at £16! I found it in a shop in Falmouth that sells pretty much everything. I switched my busy floral curtains for plain white ones from Asda (for £15!) and it's amazing how much bigger they make my room look - especially when they are closed. I was lucky because they fit my window wonderfully and no alterations were required. I've mentioned my lantern lights before, but I adore how they make my room so cosy at night and look pretty in the daytime too. There were a couple more little changes, such as new bedding and a white curtain pole to match everything... I am a slight perfectionist!

I'm delighted with how it all turned out and I'm so pleased that I didn't just buy new furniture. I feel that my room is now cheerful, fresh and bright, and don't think I'll be redecorating any time soon! I seriously recommend Chalk Paint, it's incredibly simple and quick to use - perfect for newcomers to furniture painting. 


I hope you like my new room! What do you like about your own room?
Jane 
x

21 comments:

  1. what a beautiful room! I love the lantern light things and the door knobs, and you have the movie what's eating gilbert grape (one of my faves!) and i'm pretty sure i have that ukulele haha xx
    refreshion.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Ahhh I love that film, Leo is so good in it :D How funny that we have these things in common haha! xx

      Delete
  2. I love your room, so vintage and pretty! Love the handles, and the lanterns are so pretty!

    Imogen <3
    www.eloquenceandflair.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :D The handles were such a pain to put on but well worth it! x

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love your room! I can't find words to say how much I like it! :)
    http://cup-of-insanity.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your room looks so cute! love it :)

    B,xx
    evrything-nothing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks lovely! Definitely makes your room look a lot bigger :)
    tie-dye-eyes

    ReplyDelete
  6. your room looks so adorable!
    I wish I had enough motivation to re-do my room haha
    xx tiny-adventure.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Once I'd bought the paint I just wanted to get it done, so I went into full motivation mode haha :') x

      Delete
  7. thank you <3
    Following and look forward to the same thing: **

    joyofthefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice room!

    http://mesmemosphotoblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those mismatched handles are gorgeous! And that rug - I love the mix and match feel to this - very relaxed!
    AHKA VINTAGE BLOG
    Latest outfit post: BLUE DAY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good way to describe my room - mix and match :D haha! Thanks! x

      Delete
  10. aww, your room looks so comfy, especially when it's dark outside!

    thanks for your comment!
    www.paleshadows.blogspot.com
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOOOOVE your room! Owls, patterns, PERFECT! Thing I like best about my room is...my boyfriend in my bed ;)

    nicholawithanh.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete