Wednesday, 5 June 2013

Rievaulx Terrace and Temples

Whilst in the North a couple of weeks ago, my family and I visited Rievaulx. It's an incredible, man made, garden terrace which looks down on the ruin of Rievaulx Abbey. The terrace is surprisingly wide and spacious - it must have taken so much effort to build, especially in the 18th century! The temple buildings are equally impressive. Apparently, the owners had fancy picnics in them, how extravagant! There is also a pretty woodland area with several lovely wire sculptures dotted around - they were on the terrace too. It was a beautiful day when we visited and many people were having picnics and kids were playing with stilts and other toys that were free to use - it was really cute. My parents bought me some stilts when I was younger and I actually got pretty good at walking with them... I wanted to have a go at the ones on the terrace but felt a bit silly as I am 17 ;) It's amazing that the builders went to so much trouble to create a terrace to overlook the abbey (having said that it is a wonderful view), but I'm glad they did as it's so pleasant to walk along and picnic on :) 
















Thanks for reading!
Jane 
x

14 comments:

  1. These sculptures look so beautiful, I wish I could go there!

    Love from Canada,

    http://a-warriors-diary.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were amazing - such a skilled artist! x

      Delete
  2. This looks beaut! Lovely photos Jane :) now following.

    Katie xx
    The Stylinguist

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like such a pretty place! Almost like from a fairytale, love the sculptures :)

    -B, xx
    evrything-nothing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah this looks amazing, I'd love to go there some day - such a fairytale! <3 Great photo and thank you for sharing lovely!

    Andrea | RosyChicc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so pretty :D Thank you, you're welcome haha! x

      Delete
  5. great pictures!! <33
    http://victoriapeace.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks so beautiful! I'd love to go there, lovely photo's :D
    can you check out my blog please? http://daniellestone26.blogspot.co.uk/
    Dannii xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :D Sure I'll have a look now x

      Delete
  7. Beautiful pics! My 2 years old boy enjoyed them too :))

    http://sundaydesire.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete