Saturday, 1 June 2013

Durham

Last week I visited the beautiful city of Durham with my family. I didn't know what to expect and I was very impressed! There's plenty of cute independent shops (which always appeals to me!) and an indoor market with stalls with pretty nick-nacks to admire. The roads are steep and winding, creating a higgledy-piggledy feel which is rather quaint and very British. The river is lovely and there were many rowers taking advantage of the good weather. The huge, incredible cathedral is probably the most famous landmark, it really is amazing. My dad and I climbed all the way to the top tower and let me tell you, it was not easy! The never-ending spiral staircase seemed fairly wide and comfortable, but changed half way up to being tiny, dark and actually kind of scary! The worst part was when you had to pin yourself against the wall and try not to fall when other climbers came down/up and had to squeeze past you. The view was worth it though. It's so high up that I felt a bit funny when initially seeing the landscape (it eased off though). I think Durham would be a great place to go to university so I checked out what grades they require... turns out you need two A's and an A* - it's good to aim high but that may be slightly out of my league! The weather was gorgeous and with so many people milling around the shops and lounging in riverside pubs, there was an upbeat holiday atmosphere, making the city even more attractive. Because of it's beauty, Durham is a fab place to take photos and as you can see, I took quite a few!























    
Thanks for reading, hope you're having a wonderful weekend!
Jane 
x

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely place!! The pictures are beautiful, have never been in Durham! :)

    Christina xx
    http://christinathorup.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is lovely! Thank you :) xx

      Delete
  2. Such pretty scenery :) Been nice to see blue skies here for a change! x

    Holly | http://touchofcrimson.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful photography and the place looks amazing. Looks like the perfect day out. I love going to new places and having a little explore. Lovely post xx

    Danielle || Miss Sunshine & Sparkle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love daytrips too! It's fab to make the most of your own country :D xx

      Delete