Wednesday, 8 May 2013

Rave about Records

My favourite band, Talking Heads, disbanded in 1991 (ish), meaning I'll never get the chance to see them live. Listening to vinyls seems very special to me. It's listening to a hard copy that was produced and manufactured when the band were still making music and touring. CD's nowadays are often remastered, but vinyls have more of a real, raw sound. The record was owned by Talking Heads fans themselves in the 70's and 80's - It's like going back in music time for me!  




Another thing I love about records is the sleeves. The size means they're perfect to use as mini posters (I have 4 on a wall in my room!) and the liner notes are often illustrated too. It's so satisfying to flick through your collection, choose a record, slip it out of the sleeve, pop it on the turn table, place the needle down... and enjoy the music. 


It's easy when listening to a CD or your iPod to skip a song or fast forward to your favourite part. With records it's not as simple to pick and chose, forcing you to stick with it and listen to the end - something which is often beneficial as you tend to find old gems that you would usually skip over mindlessly. I found my record player a few weeks ago in a charity shop for a more than reasonable £30! My uncle found another for £10 - so if you're after one, definitely check out your local charity shops! 



The only time (so far) that I've found a record that I was after in a shop, was (randomly) in a scruffy vinyl shop in Madrid! If you're looking for a specific record, eBay is a good place to try :) 
My parents have a decent amount of their records still. My mom has an amazing hoard of Bob Dylan records and a couple of The Beatles' - she's a cool lady :)

As you can probably tell, I'm loving having a record player and hunting for vinyls. It so fun for me, being such a huge Talking Heads fan, to listen to the original vinyls - it's the closest I can get to whizzing back to their hey-day! 

Thanks for reading, 
Jane 
x

6 comments:

  1. I love my records! There is just something special about the sound on vinyl record and the entire package!
    I used to have some old records on the wall of my room. They were so worn out that you could no longer listen to them, so I've put them on my walls! xx


    http://lupusheartbeat.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really is something special about them! And they do make great poster don't they! :D xx

      Delete
  2. I love records like this! I love going to vintage markets and looking at old records and players x

    http://whatisinherwardrobe.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to go to some vintage markets soon to hunt for more records!! :) x

      Delete
  3. I wish I had a record player! I have records but I have only been able to use them as decor thus far :/

    xx,
    mashasmumbles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ysed all mine for decor before I found my record player! Have a look in some charity shops? :D xx

      Delete